I don't want to lose you, this good thing
that I got 'cause if I do
I will surely,
surely lose a lot.
'Cause your love is better
than any love I know.
It's like thunder and lightning,
the way you love me is frightening.
You better knock, knock on wood, baby.
Okay, I just absolutely love that song, and it was fitting to this post, so there it is! Tornados aside, one of my favorite things about living out here are the storms. I am like a little kid on Christmas when it comes to thunder and lightning! For instance, I'm sure lots of people will go out on their porch to watch lightning, BUT will they do it at 1:30 in the morning in their pajamas and barefooted? (The barefoot part only lasted a little while, cuz then the rational part of my brain convinced me that if I didn't put some shoes on, all the bugs in South Dakota would be migrating over to my porch just to climb up my pajama pants, then they'd hitch a ride inside, then they're in my bed and it would just all be bad.) I'm sure that if my neighbors were awake and saw me they'd be wondering, "Didn't they have any dadgum lightning in California? Why does she have to subject us to the sight of her in pj's everytime there's a storm? Maybe she's sleepwalking..." When I'm out there, I really have to force myself to come inside and go to bed, cuz I'm honestly worried that the be-all, end-all, most awesome God-inspired displays of lightning are going to happen while I'm asleep! Just like Santa won't come while you're still awake, I'm convinced that the same is true for lightning. My hubby isn't too much help. He tells me this morning that the lightning was so bad at 3am that he had to close the curtain, because it was like a flashbulb constantly going off. My reply, "WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP?!?!?!? Geez, man, have you no love for me at all!!" Then there's the thunder. Fortunately, I can hear the thunder from inside the house. Actually, I can FEEL the thunder from inside the house. We have thunder here that's so loud, it will shake the basement walls sometimes. It's really pretty awesome. If you've never watched a midwest thunderstorm, you should definitely take some time out of your busy life to do so. And I'm sure if we ask really nicely, we can go the rest of tornado season with only thunderstorms and no tornados, knock on wood.
2 comments:
I like lightning but not the thunder...and the kids are terrified of both, so I'll have to wait til they get a little older before I can enjoy either again...
Hi! I found your blog on themomblogs.com and thought I'd stop by for a quick peek-and I'm glad I did!
I was born in Minnesota and lived there until 2002 when I moved out to San Diego. I totally relate to the whole "being in awe of thunder and lightening" thing. I was actually excited when there was a big storm during one of the visits home last year. lol
Post a Comment