Thursday, July 30, 2009

Box Springs Won't Fit Up Your Stairs?

After sleeping with our mattress directly on the floor for a month and deciding that I really didn't want to spend $300+ on a split box spring for our queen size bed, we decided to 'go for it' and cut the boards on the box spring so that we could fit it up the stairs. The previous owners had a full size bed, so we knew that our bed size might be an issue. After careful research and planning, here's how we did it:

First thing I did was cut the dust liner off. It would be too much trouble to remove all the staples holding it on, so I just used scissors and cut as close to the staples as possible. We then cut across these 3 boards with a saw and folded it in half. You do have to cut a slit in the fabric on the sides so that it will fold. I checked out the wires to make sure we would be folding the weaker wires and not across the bigger springy ones.

Lay it down and fold it over. We tried to fold it while it was standing, but that wasn't working too well. Once we laid it down it folded right over.




Once it was folded, we carried it up the stairs, into our room, and we had bought a package of these metal plates (they come with screws) in the bracket section at Menard's. I held the boards together, Hubby screwed in the screws, and 'Voila!' we have our box springs back intact.




I then took the staple gun and stapled the dust liner back on.



Just to introduce another part of my house, the first pics were taken in my enclosed porch.

1 comment:

Five Little Monkeys said...

Fantastic!
Your box spring cutting looks much neater than the job we did on one that was already stuck in the stairwell.... :)
I'm glad it worked!